Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Half-Remembered Evening.

A group of friends was visiting me. I can't get a hold of where exactly I was living but it had both the feel or Door County and Maui at the same time. Door County in terms of distance. Maui in terms of atmosphere. We were all standing on a corner in a far away town trying to figure out how to get back to my home. We were looking for cabs. We were trying to hitchhike.

Somehow, we arrive at a house party. I am still outside trying to get a ride hitch hiking. I keep sticking my head in the front door and asking how many are in our group. I keep trying to corral everyone close to the door so that we can escape easily if we get a ride.

After a while, I resign myself to stay there. Shit begins to get weird. We find a stack of old boxes. A guy starts packing old heavy things in one. Someone else starts stacking furniture. The music is loud and confusing. People engulf me.

Fast forward to the next day. Something has gone terribly wrong at the party. The lawn is littered with cars but the house is quiet. An officer is here to investigate. I, for some reason, am there checking it out as well. He doesn't know that I was a part of the festivities. I am trying to keep it a secret.

We explore the house. We find bodies dead.. but in odd ways. This one girl is filed on a bookshelf like her body was ironed, cut up and organized. Bloodless.

He notices the pile of boxes and goes through them familiarly. This was his house. He put these boxes here. He opens and empties them to see what has changed.

He checks out the bathroom looking for the drugs the kids imbibed. He finds little candies. He breaks one in half and says he never does the job sober. Do you want part? he asks. I accept.

The world is in slow motion now. My actions labored. My limbs phantom. We continue searching but my mind no longer focuses. We see Polaroids from the night. I keep expecting to get caught.

Then. An alarm goes off.

No comments:

Post a Comment